Today I’d like to introduce to you my newest healthy kitchen creation: the sweet potato hash and chicken bowl. This recipe combines the sweet flavor of vitamin A loaded sweet potatoes, protein packed boneless skinless chicken breast, micronutrient dense bell peppers, onions, and garlic, with just a bit of flavorful delicious bacon. Eat just like that for a paleo/whole30 friendly meal, or add cheese and plain greek yogurt for added protein and flavor. Serves a family of 4, or two hungry intermittent fasters or guys bulking.
You will need:
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 large sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1-2 bell peppers (green or colored)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- Pink salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Plain nonfat greek yogurt (in place of sour cream)
- Wash and cube 4 large sweet potatoes and add to a large pot with water. Boil until cubes are tender when poked with a fork.
- While potatoes boil, heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Dice peppers, onions, and garlic and sauté to desired crispness. Set aside.
- In the same pan, chop chicken into chunks and pan fry until no longer pink. Internal temperature should be 156F. Season with pink salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and set aside.
- Fry up bacon per package instructions and set to the side. Don’t drain grease.
- Drain water from softened sweet potatoes. Add 1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil to bacon grease in the skillet. Add sweet potatoes to the skillet and brown until desired crispness. The more fat added, the crispier they will be. Just keep in mind that it’ll add extra calories so be careful! Add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Cut heat and add add sautéed peppers, onions, and garlic to the potatoes. Rip up or crumble bacon and add it as well. Finally, add chicken and mix everything as well. Let cool for a minute and top with a bit of cheese and a couple tbsp of plain nonfat greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Makes 4 delicious servings 🙂
Step by step with pics:
Wash and chop 4 large sweet potatoes. Add them to a pot of water and bring to a boil and cook until cubes are tender when poked with a fork. Drain water when finished.
Meanwhile, dice peppers, onion, and garlic and sauté over medium/high heat in a cast iron skillet to your liking. Set to the side.
Brown chunks of boneless skinless chicken breast in skillet. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and set to the side as well. Internal temperature should be 165F. Finally cook bacon per package instructions. Set to the side but don’t drain the grease! We’re going to brown out potatoes in that with 1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil.
When potatoes begin to crisp, add in peppers, onions, garlic, crumbled bacon, and chicken. Season with more salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Allow to cool for a bit and serve. Topping with greek yogurt and cheese is completely optional but makes a flavorful addition and adds in some quality protein.
Calories and Macros (dairy free version):
Serving size: 1/4 recipe
Calories and Macros (With cheese/greek yogurt):
Serving size: 1/4 recipe